Stroud Historic Places
Self-Guided Walking Tours
Stroud has eleven properties on the National Register of Historic Places. An additional two places are located just outside Stroud; two places were on the register, but no longer exist. Approximately 170 properties are listed in the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory. More detailed information can be found in the Library’s local history collection.
301 W. 7th Street
All pictures courtesy of
Stroud Public Library.
Time Frame App
"The Time Frame app combines historical photography and Augmented Reality in a self-guided history tour through communities across Oklahoma. Players follow clues to find key locations in a community. Using the camera on a mobile device, respective historical photos are layered over the present day view of that location. Accompanying narration and sound effects provide extra context without distraction. Players collect the photos and narrations, filling their digital albums as they visit locations." - timeframetours.com
Download the app Apple Store Google Play
Brief History of Stroud
After the 1891 opening of Sac and Fox Tribal lands, James W. Stroud opened a store on property located six miles from the Sac and Fox Agency in Oklahoma Territory. The community, which is now referred to as “Old Stroud,” was granted charter of a post office in September 1892; thus, the beginning of Stroud, Lincoln County, Oklahoma.
The town was doing quite well when the Frisco Railroad decided to lay track between Sapulpa and Oklahoma City. Mr. Stroud bought land one mile east of the town and sold right-of-way to the railroad company. Mr. Stroud sold most of the land to Luther F. Aldrich, a town developer. The residents moved, bringing their houses and business. The first train pulled into the new Stroud town on August 17, 1898.
The first school opened in Old Stroud in 1893. The town's newspapers at the time were the "Stroud Star" and the "Stroud Messenger." The 1900 Census figures show the city of Stroud with a population of 800, as well as 2200 in the surrounding area of Keokuk Township. The staple business of the area was farming and Stroud was home to many cotton gins as well as a cottonseed oil mill and a stockyard.
Main Street became part of the Ozark Trail, the first marked highway across Lincoln County, then part of Route 66.
Henry Starr Robberies
In 1915, two banks in Stroud were robbed at the same time by a gang led by infamous robber Henry Starr. As they were leaving, shots were fired in the street between the banks and the train tracks. Visitors may follow metal sculptures on main street along the route they took. The Starr Walking Trail was made possible by a grant from Keep Oklahoma Beautiful Roadside Beautification.
National Historic Register Tour 1
Hotel Lincoln 323 W. Main
Also known as the Hotel Stroud, this brick-with-brick-front Commercial building was originally a one-story drug store, but in 1924 it was extended and a second story was added to be the Hotel. Today the name is still painted on the upper east side.
William Alfred Mensch Building 218 W. Main
Mr. Mensch was a local businessman and built a Commercial style building in 1922 with limestone and sandstone. As a stone-with-stone-front example, it is rare in Stroud. The back section was added on in 1924. It was restored in the late 1990’s.
Stroud Trading Company Building 201 W. Main
Built in 1901 with brick with sandstone trim, the building originally boasted the largest
floor space of any commercial structure in Oklahoma Territory. The second floor was designed especially as a lodge hall and opera house. The building once extended to the alley with a Masonic emblem in the masonry; it was removed in 1982.
Ozark Trails – Replica Marker 200 W. Main
The inclusion of Stroud’s main street in the Ozark Trail resulted from road improvements made by the residents between 1915 and 1925. According to a newspaper article in 1920, a marker for the trail had been placed at the intersection of present-day Highways 66 & 99 and another marker was to be made and placed at the turn-off from the Ozark Trail to Prague. That second original monument still exists at N3540Rd & E 890 Rd. The replica was placed in 2020.
Rock Café 114 W. Main
The restaurant has been in operation as the Rock Café since the sandstone building’s construction was finished in 1939. Fire gutted the building in 2008, but the exterior walls were saved as was the road sign. The Café also lays claim to fame as contributing to inspiration for Disney’s Cars (2006).
James W. Stroud House 110 E. 2nd St.
Built in 1898 by the town’s founder, this is a Territorial Era home with Eastern Stick Style architectural features. James, his wife Martha, and 7 children lived here in a house 24’x36’ and two stories.
National Historic Register Tour 2
Bon Ton House 404 N. 4th St.
Built in 1902, the Bon Ton Home exhibits many features of the asymmetrical sub-type of the Second Empire Era.
George Hughes House 308 W. 5th St.
Constructed in 1923 during the Craftsman Period, the Hughes Home embodies the characteristics of the two-story, hipped roof sub-type of the Craftsman Style.
Joseph Carpenter House 204 W. 6th St.
Completed in 1913, the imposing 2½ story Carpenter residence was one of the largest homes in Stroud and is the oldest example of the Prairie Style in Stroud.
Stroud Public Library 301 W. 7th St.
Built in 1929, this was the Southwestern Bell Telephone switching station and is the only Art Deco building in Stroud. It was renovated in 1996 to house the library.
Oscar Hadley House 622 N. 4th Ave.
Constructed in 1915, this is typical of many Bungalow Style houses as it draws upon the Western Stick Style for many of its features. Mr. Hadley, co-owner of the local lumber company, imported California redwood for use as framing material and rafters for the house.
Walter Hadley House 424 W. 7th St.
Constructed ca. 1910, this is the oldest example of Craftsman Period dwelling in Stroud, although deviating from the traditional gable roof. Oscar and Walter Hadley were brothers and both prominent citizens of Stroud.
Old Stroud School
The only other place on the Historic Register near city limits is the Old Stroud School building. It is on the northwest side of town at 800 N Old Stroud Road. Its restoration was begun by the Stroud Historic Neighborhood Association in the early 1990s.
Historic Buildings near Main Long Tour
Starting at the intersection of Hwy 66 & 99 and going East. You will also pass all the buildings on Tour 1.
Skyliner 717 W. Main
Built about 1960, the Skyliner has one of two examples of neon signs in Stroud, so typical of the Route 66 era.
Masonic building 429 W. Main
Built in 1909, the Masonic and Odd Fellows lodge hall took up the full upper story. Three store rooms fit below, most notably, Jondahl's Furniture.
Telephone building 417 W. Main
Built in 1903, this housed Stroud first telephone exchange in the upper level.
Pardoe building 403 W. Main
Built in 1902, it housed Mr. Pardoe's law library and rented out to the Stroud Star newspaper as well as several doctors and dentists.
At the stop light at 4th Ave. turn left, go North one block.
1st Christian Church 323 W. 4th St.
Begun in 1901 at this location, it was known as the “Little Church Around the Corner” in the 1940’s when sermons where aired on Tulsa radio; the new sanctuary was built in 1960.
Return to the stop light on Main Street, continue East.
Salt Creek Building 318 W Main
Original Stroud sandstone building built by J.W. Stroud c. 1900. Had angled store-front windows in historic pictures and seems to have had an awning on occasion.
Barton Building 312 W Main
Built in 1920, it was the Ritz Theater in the 1930's and 40's. The Bartons owned both the Ritz and the Cozy Theater, which building was at 407 W. Main.
At 3rd Ave, turn left, go north one block.
Baptist Church 302 W. 4th St.
There has been a Baptist church in Stroud since 1901. The current sanctuary was built in 1965. The old bell can still be seen in front of the building.
Return to Main Street, continue East.
Burford Building 214 W Main
This Late Victorian Commercial brick building with gabled parapet was built in 1910. Note the Coca-cola sign painted on the east side.
At 2nd Ave, turn left, go north one block.
Methodist Church 332 N. 2nd Ave.
The Methodist congregation began meeting in 1893 at the Old Stroud school. The church moved to it's present location in 1931 and the current sanctuary was built in 1968.
Go South, crossing Main street.
Lucas Stroud House 202 N. 2nd Ave.
This 20’x30’ house built in 1898 by Lucas Stroud, son of J.W. Stroud, the town’s founder, was originally located at 201 W. 5th Street. It was acquired by the Stroud Historic Neighborhood Association and moved to its present location in Centennial Park. It was restored in 2018.
At the Water Tower, turn left to continue East.
Joseph Evans House 124 E 2nd
Built in 1917; Mr. Evans came to Stroud in 1901 and with his brothers established the Evans grocery business, a lumber yard, dry goods and feed stores. Mr. Evans served on the Stroud City council and was instrumental in securing the pavement for Stroud’s Main Street.
On N Bryan Ave, go North back to Main Street, turn right to continue East.
Old Doc Baird House 420 E. Main
This home was originally built by Andrew Whitmore in 1902 and is sometimes referred to as the Dr. W. D. Baird Home. Baird, a local physician, purchased the home in 1920 and lived there for 24 years.
Whitmore House 502 E. Main
Remodeled in 1986, this home is important to Stroud both architecturally and historically. Andrew and Edith Whitmore built the home around 1900. Mr. Whitmore, a successful and respected cotton buyer, is credited with making Stroud an
important early-day cotton market. He served several terms as City Councilman and also as Town Marshall in 1904. The architecture of the home reflects the popularity of Victorian designs in the Territory. The tower is particularly unique to the period as are the fish-scale shingles and porches built to catch the Oklahoma breezes.
Go East to Allied Rd., turn left, going North about two blocks.
Lumm Mansion N. Allied Rd.
Dr. and Mrs. E. E. Lumm built this home on an eighty-acre tract in 1913. The home is constructed of concrete blocks. The Georgian columns soaring to the third floor and the second-story balconies are reminiscent of the great antebellum homes of the South. Dr. Lumm was a well-known, early-day Stroud doctor who required dynamite, shovels, and an ax in his practice – tools needed to clear the rough paths and roads he traveled to reach his patients.